Re: Greek Manuscripts of the NT

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 10:45:08 EST

At 21:02 13/11/98 -0600, dd-1@juno.com wrote:

>>I hear echoes down the centuries of just such questions being asked by
>>puzzled monks in scriptoria all over Europe. There were, of course,
>monks
>>who were either tired or bored, or both --- have a look at some of the
>>illustrations in Metzger's great book on "Greek Manuscripts of the N.T
>>" to see the marginal doodlings and comments of such monks.
>
>I'm pondering the purchase of the book you mention above. I believe it
>is in the $55 category. What manuscripts does Dr. Metzger examine and
>compare in this book? Have you found the book enlightening beyond the
>incidental? Any comments would be appreciated.

Danny:
I _am_ glad you asked that question before spending the money.
BTW, a quick check on MX Bookfinder [ http://www.bookfinder.com/search/ ]
threw up two copies, at USD 40 and 45.

It's not at all a book devoted to textual criticism and comparison: the
succinct description in one entry on MX Bookfinder is as follows:

150 pages, generously illustrated. An introduction to Greek
                            Palaegraphy.

Regards,
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]