Re: Eph 4:22-24 infinitives

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Sat Dec 19 1998 - 13:58:46 EST

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:43:36 EST
Trevor M Peterson wrote:

>In the course of analyzing the structure of Eph 4:17-24, I've come to a
>bit of a fork in the road. The infinitive PERIPATEIN in v. 17 seems
>pretty obviously to follow from LEGW and MARTUROMAI. But when we come
>down to v. 20, there's something of a break in the flow. While I would
>tend to subordinate vv. 18-19 under PERIPATEIN as all part of one
>sentence, v. 20 seems to back up to his original point in v. 17. On the
>other hand, it could conceivably be an interjection altogether that
>really doesn't carry forward the flow of the passage. If that were the
>case, we could say that the flow picks back up with v. 22 (by
>subordinating v. 21 under v. 20), so that the infinitives would continue
>from the original idea of MARTUROMAI . . . PERIPATEIN . . . APOQESQAI (v.
>22) . . . ANANEOUSQAI (v. 23) . . . ENDUSASQAI (v. 24). On the other
>hand, the fact that these are all middle/passive forms versus the active
>form of PERIPATEIN may say something against such a connection.
>Furthermore, it makes good sense to let these later infinitives follow
>from EDIDACQHTE in v. 21.
>
>So basically, where I'm at right now looks something like this:
>
>KAI MARTUROMAI EN KURIWi,
> MHKETI hUMAS PERIPATEIN, . . . (v. 17)
> hUMEIS DE OUK hOUTWS EMAQETE TON CRISTON, (v. 20)
> EI GE AUTON HKOUSATE
> KAI EN AUTWi EDIDACQHTE,
> KAQWS ESTIN ALHQEIA EN TWi IHSOU, (v. 21)
> APOQESQAI . . . (v. 22)
> ANANEOUSQAI . . . (v. 23)
> KAI ENDUSASQAI . . . (v. 24)
>
>But I'm wondering if maybe it should look more like this:
>
>KAI MARTUROMAI EN KURIWi,
> MHKETI hUMAS PERIPATEIN, . . . (v. 17)
> hUMEIS DE OUK hOUTWS EMAQETE TON CRISTON,
> EI GE AUTON HKOUSATE
> KAI EN AUTWi EDIDACQHTE . . . (v. 21)
> APOQESQAI . . . (v. 22)
> ANANEOUSQAI . . . (v. 23)
> KAI ENDUSASQAI . . . (v. 24)
>
>Any thoughts?

Trevor:

IMHO, I'd say no; it seems to me that the infinitives are indirect
discourse, explaining what they were "taught..." And since they are
indirect discourse, the tense is retained but the mood could go back to
either an indicative or an imperative (I'd opt for the latter, which is the
"feel" I think you were going for by lining them up with the "walk"
infinitive, which has the same imperative feel.).

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com