Re: EIS in Hebr 1:5, Hebr 8:10

From: Mark O'Brien (markus@upnaway.com)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 23:23:38 EST

At 09:21 AM 12/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I can't quite put my finger on the meaning of EIS in these two verses:
>
>Hebr 1:5 EGW ESOMAI AUTWi EIS PATERA, KAI AUTOS ESTAI MOI EIS hUION
>Hebr 8:10 KAI ESOMAI AUTOIS EIS QEON, KAI AUTOI ESONTAI MOI EIS LAON
>
>Can someone help me here?

If I'm not mistaken, this seems to me to be very similar to the Hebraic
idiom involving the lamed preposition/prefix which occurs pretty regularly
in the OT (I can't think of any examples right now off the top of my head,
although I know I've seen it many times... besides, it's late around here
and I have a headache!).

Hope that helps! If you track down an OT Hebrew example, I'm sure you will
probably find that the LXX is using EIS in its translation, wooden as it
is. All this is probably quite predictable if Hebrews is actually, as the
name suggests, directed towards those of a Semitic bent.

Best,

M.

-----
Revd. Mark B. O'Brien
Assoc. Pastor, Subiaco Church of Christ, Western Australia
Lecturer in Biblical Studies, South Perth Christian College
                               (Sydney College of Divinity), Western Australia

markus@upnaway.com
-----
"It seems to me to be the best proof of an evangelical disposition, that
persons are not angry when reproached, and have a Christian charity for
those that ill deserve it."
                                  ... The Colloquies of Erasmus