Re: Two words translated "receive"

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 09:04:34 EST

<x-rich>At 2:04 PM -0800 12/21/98, Tom Geiger wrote:

>Hi once again,

>I have been attempting to obtain input on the correct definition of

>two Greek words, both of which are typically translated "receive".

>These words are DECOMAI and LAMBANW.

>Previously, I was told that the former means to receive subjectively

>while the latter means to receive "into manifestation". IOW, DECOMAI

>is to receive with no visible evidence of the reception.

>Any assistance in a better understanding of these two words is

>appreciated.

My own sense (utterly unscientific gleaning from years of reading) is
that there is very little difference between these two verbs, or if
there is, it's pretty much the distinction between German GREIFEN and
BEKOMMEN or English GRAB and GET. There are, of course, other words as
well for these notions, but LAMBANW is more active in its perception of
the action, as "get one's grubby paws on (as one had hoped to do)"
while DECOMAI emphasizes more the reception than the HOW of
acquisition. And while LAMBANW could be used of violent seizure from an
unwilling yielder, my sense is that DECOMAI generally implies reception
from a willing relinquisher.

Yet one really needs to be sensitive to the context. As I recall, when
Platonic texts talk about the fees exacted by Sophists from students,
both verbs are used, but even DECOMAI is used there in a way that
suggests that Sophists teach more with an eye to being paid than to
giving instruction--the implication being, I would think, that the
students readily pay their tuition fees but are nevertheless actually
being victimized by the Sophists.

In sum, I think that there is an essential difference between the sense
of the two verbs, and yet I think that they not infrequently overlap in
usage.

Here's Louw and Nida (from Accordance):

<bold>18.1 </bold>LAMBANW ; DECOMAI : to take hold of something or
someone, with or without force - 'to take hold of, to grasp, to grab.'

<bold>31.51 </bold>DECOMAI : to readily receive information and to
regard it as true - 'to receive readily, to accept, to believe.' hOI
hOTAN AKOUSWSIN META CARAS DECONTAI TON LOGON 'those who hear the
message receive it gladly' Lk 8:13; AKOUSANDES DE hOI EN IEROSOLUMOIS
APOSTOLOI hOTI DEDEKTAI hH SAMAREIA TON LOGON TOU QEOU 'the apostles
in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had received the word of
God' Ac 8:14; EUAGGELION hETERON hO OUK EDEXASQE KALWS ANECESQE 'you
tolerate a gospel different from what you received' 2Cor 11:4.

<bold>34.53 </bold>PROSLAMBANOMAI; PARALAMBANW ;APOLAMBANW ; DECOMAI ;
ANADECOMAI ; APODECOMAI; EPIDECOMAI ; EISDECOMAI ; hUPODECOMAI;
PROSDECOMAI; PARADECOMAI : to accept the presence of a person with
friendliness - 'to welcome, to receive, to accept, to have as a
guest.'10

<bold>57.125 </bold>DECOMAI ; LAMBANW ; LHMYIS, EWS
<italic>f:</italic> to receive or accept an object or benefit for which
the initiative rests with the giver, but the focus of attention in the
transfer is upon the receiver - 'to receive, receiving, to accept.'31

Carl W. Conrad

</x-rich>