Copy of: Translating occasional words

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Dec 27 1998 - 09:22:20 EST

(trevor jenkins wrote:}
>As I progress in my study of New Testament Greek I am sure other
>infrequent words will confuse me. So in conclusion I'd like advice upon is

>what other references can I check that would resolve my problem.[end
quote]

in every language, the language interprets itself.
you wouldn't want to learn "NIV English" without being able to read the Los
Angeles Times.

you will need to plan and to start reading various kinds of texts from the
beginning.
i would recommend some papyri letters, some aesop's fables, a little
epictetos, and some "apostolic fathers" along with NT. save josephus for
the end, he is occasionally a tad pedantic in his style.
plan on learning enough greek so that you could discuss and define the
ideas in greek, if you had to. for most languages that means a 5000-10000
word vocabulary. with proper annotated readers such a goal is within reach
of "whosoever will".

estimated study hours : 1000, assuming regular progress and no year-long
breaks.
caveat: time spent in english counts as english, not greek.

some parts of the learning curve have geometric positive reinforcement, so
take courage.

erroso
randall buth