Bill Ross Notes on benefits of Greek - Part 2

From: wross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Fri Jan 01 1999 - 11:36:06 EST

I've jotted down in cryptic form my cryptic notes from Matthew that seemed
relevant.

*** Part 2 ***

Matthew 26:37 "He began to be saddened and full of loathing/depressed"

Matthew 26:38 "All-around-sad is my soul - until death"

Matthew 26:39 "Let pass from me this little clay vessel" (referring to his
weak body - not his work)

Matthew 26:41 "Request that you not enter [go into] into testing; indeed the
Spirit is eager but the flesh is impotent" (Jesus was doing himself what he
told his disciples to do: asking for a prompt removal from the arena of
physical testing. Jesus had no reservation about the death he should die. It
was the prolonged testing of his body that he asked to be delivered from. We
should do the same. "He considereth our frame that we are but dust". We know
that Jesus' praying three times was answered - and Pilate marvelled that he
died in such a short time. They even pierced his side because it seemed
unreasonable. Paul had the unusual ministry - filling up the sufferings of
Christ. He also prayed twice but it was not his portion to be spared
protracted physical suffering. He lived many years, suffering great
testings - empowered by the sufficient grace of Christ:

Colossians 1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy
and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for [on behalf of] you, and fill up
that which is behind ["back-ordered"] of the afflictions [pressures] of
Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church.

Christ completed the atoning death and said "It is finished". The suffering
in the flesh was partially back-ordered and fulfilled by the chosen vessel:

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel
unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of
Israel:
16 For I will show him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Uh oh, this is B-Greek...

Matthew 27:6 "It is not lawful to put them into the treasury since it is the
price of blood" - the word 'lawful' actually has to do with 'satisfactory'
as in "what would people think"? They still accummulated land, but in a
"benevolence". Hyporcrites!

Matthew 27:25 "I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to
it." is actually "you will see". This may be more significant if he was
alluding to Deut 21:

6 And all the elders of that city, that are next unto the slain man, shall
wash their hands over the heifer that is beheaded in the valley:
7 And they shall answer and say, Our hands have not shed this blood,
neither have our eyes seen it.
8 Be merciful, O LORD, unto thy people Israel, whom thou hast redeemed, and
lay not innocent blood unto thy people of Israel's charge. And the blood
shall be forgiven them.
9 So shalt thou put away the guilt of innocent blood from among you, when
thou shalt do that which is right in the sight of the LORD.

Maybe his wife brought those verses to his attention the previous night...

Matthew 27:50 "Jesus, when he had cried [not necessarily a cry of sadness,
just a passionate vocalization, like a raven] again with a loud voice,
yielded up the ghost." - "yielded up" is "release" in the active voice. We
see that his eager spirit was released from impotent flesh. "Why hast thou
forsaken me" I take to mean "why haven't you released me from this body, as
I prayed?" The loud cry of "It is finished [completed]" then related to the
Father's permitting him to release his own spirit - which he then does:

John 19:30 "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is
finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

"Quote the raven - 'never more!'" - Edgar Allen Poe

Matthew 28:9 "Hail!" is better as "Cheers!"

Matthew 28:14 "And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade
him, and secure you." - "secure" you is more "make you free from
distraction/anxious concerns". As if! Though free from the long arm of the
law, a betrayer's heart is haunted day and night with tormenting thoughts.

Matthew 28:17 "And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some
doubted.", with "saw" as an aorist particple, is more like: "And having seen
him, they worshipped him - but they doubted [were in two standings]

Matthew 28:19 "As you go, therefore, make into disciples all the nations,
immersing them into the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy
Spirit/Wind/Breath - while teaching them to observe all WHATSOEVER I
commanded you" - KJV "Go" as our brother recently pointed out, is not in the
imperative, but is a passive participle. KJV "teach [educate]" is actually
"make into disciples". Baptism is "into" the name... "Teaching" is also a
participle. "Making disciples" is aorist (punctilliar) but "teaching" is
present (continuous).

*** end of Part 2 ***

This was something I've wanted to do for a while. I might continue with the
rest of the NT. Would that be an appropriate/welcome contribution to
B-Greek? Or too much?