Re: Dative in Matt 8:23

From: Jack Painter (jackp@amdg.com.ph)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 03:29:40 EST

Greg Kilbrai wrote:
>This is a little b-greeker question - basic to most of you I imagine -
>but this sentence in a current passage I'm reading caught my eye and has
>me wondering...
>
>KAI EMBANTI AUTW EIS TO PLOION HKOLOUQHSAN AUTW OI MAQHTAI AUTOU.
>And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. (NASB)
>
>What is the grammatical role of AUTW is in both locations in the
>sentence. Why is it dative? Why are they necessary?

 Greg,

The verb AKOLOUQEW regularly takes a dative direct object (most transitive
verbs take accusative, some genitive, some dative). The temporal
participial phrase EMBANTI AUTW EIS TO PLOION, must agree with its referent
in case gender and number. Normally, this is the nominative case, but in
this instance, the referent is the second AUTW, thus the participal is in
the dative masculine singular and the first AUTW is the subject of EMBANTI.

Hope this helps,
Jack

R. Jackson Painter, Ph.D.
Acting Academic Dean