the meaning of to teleion in 1 corinthians 13:10

From: Gary S. Shogren (gshogren@sol.racsa.co.cr)
Date: Sat Jan 16 1999 - 15:50:57 EST

Harry Smith wrote:
I was wondering if there is a connection between "ews telous" in 1 Cor. 1:8
and to teleion in 1 Cor. 13:10. I would be interested in your opinion.

The neuter cognate in 1 Cor. 1:8 has _ews telous_ as eschatological, IMO,
and 1 Cor. 15:24 where _to telos_ refers to eschatological fulness. I'm not
sure that we need to imagine any or all of the three to have precisely the
same referent, but I'd say they're all eschatological and thus generally
coinciding with each other.

I mentioned earlier my research on patristic commentary on this passage,
and it is worth noting that the fathers did not connect "knowledge" in
13:8-12 with the charisma called _logos gnwsews_ (word of knowledge) in
12:8. This, as far as I can tell, there are no references connecting the
knowledge that passes away in Ch 13 with the charisma in Ch 12.

PS - Ditto on the complaints about spams. I get plenty without B-Greek
passing them along too. It's like tuning into PBS and seeing McDonald's
commercials.