Re: Cotton Mather

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campuscw.net)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 19:56:53 EST

According to David Levin's book _Cotton Mather: The Young Life of the Lord's
Remembrancer 1663-1703_ (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1978) page 55:

"Although Cotton Mather later name the thesis he had defended for his A.M.
degree in 1681, the assignment of individual parts fo these baccalaureate
disputations had not been preserved. "

The titles of of theses theses have been printed in the commencement program
and one seems to fit the requirement "Grammar is the antidote to the
confusion of the Tongues." There is no evidence however that Mather was the
author. There were four graduates that year and any one of theme might be
the author. Incidentally Mather graduated from Harvard at age 15.

At 06:25 PM 1/21/99 EST, you wrote:

>I have been told that Cotton Mather wrote his masters thesis at Harvard
>University on the divine origin of language. Apparently, it was written in
>Latin.
>
>Does anyone know where a translated copy of Mather's work could be obtained
>(assuming that he wrote such a thesis).
>
>---
>B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: cierpke@utc.campuscw.net