Interpretation of Mark 2:2??

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Mar 07 1999 - 19:27:55 EST

Dear friends,

would you help me interpret Mark 2:2?

kai sune^thesan polloi hoste me^keti Xo^rein me^de
ta pros te^n thuran.

1. RSV translates "sune^thesan" as "were gathered". It reminds me of
what Carl wrote about voices of Greek. Here "the" does not mean to
specify passive form but middle form, so that the meaning would be
"gathered for themselves" or "gathered themselves"?

2. Is "ta pros te^n thuran" the object of "xo^rein", so that the
meaning would be "there was no room even for those on the door"?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Dept of Computer Science