Re: graphai Paul List

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 13:59:01 EST

At 05:32 PM 3/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 05/03/99 17:50:54 GMT Standard Time, Edgar Krenz wrote:
>
>> My own view is that the scope of the list should be quite broadly drawn, to
>> include questions of interpretation, isagogics, theology, etc. Scholar
>> should be able to post papers in statu nascendi for discussion and
>> revision. It should not be aimed at neophytes in either Greek or Pauline
>> studies. Participants should all have more than an elementary knowledge of
>> the Greek language, and [IMHO] be able and willing to read submissions in
>> German and French--or at least not be put off by them.

I'm going to step out on that limb I occupy so often and agree with Edgar.
There are lots of reasons why list participation should be limited. First,
a list that rehashes basic ideas will get nowhere. There is simply no need
to repeat over and again basic ideas that folk interested in the field
should be presumed to know. Second, since most of the literature on Paul
(and New Testament in general) has been written in German and French, as
well as English, it does not seem to be too much to ask that folk be
familiar with these tools (not to mention the fact that anyone interpreting
Paul should certainly be able to read the Greek New Testament). Third,
there is most certainly every reason to suspect that those without the
requisite tools can and will make important contributions to any discussion-
but, at the same time, in these perilous days, there are more than enough
who would simply bombard the list with ridiculous and unsupportable claims.
Balancing these two truths is the tricky part- and I would say its better to
err on the side of caution. I do not intend to sound exclusivistic- but I
share Edgars concerns that any new list have the highest standards and the
highest quality. Elsewise it will merely degrade, eventually, into more net
clutter.
At this point I would like to recommend, in light of the above, that our
friends hosting Graphai also be asked to host e-paul (or whatever the
eventual name is).

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD