Re: graphai Paul List

From: DebsGaunt@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 17:32:36 EST

In a message dated 05/03/99 17:50:54 GMT Standard Time, Edgar Krenz wrote:

> My own view is that the scope of the list should be quite broadly drawn, to
> include questions of interpretation, isagogics, theology, etc. Scholar
> should be able to post papers in statu nascendi for discussion and
> revision. It should not be aimed at neophytes in either Greek or Pauline
> studies. Participants should all have more than an elementary knowledge of
> the Greek language, and [IMHO] be able and willing to read submissions in
> German and French--or at least not be put off by them.

I'm a little uneasy with pitching it at that level. For me one of the
fascinating
things about B-Greek is the fact that students and scholars at all levels have
access to the list. The generosity the experts show sharing their
scholarship with the little greeks is a gift economy at its best. If you
limit
it to those who are well past elementary greek, are already Pauline scholars,
and are fluent enough to read papers in French and German, you limit it to
a very select group indeed. There's nothing wrong with accepting posts in
other languages, but I'm not sure why we should insist that all list members
can read them! And how would you police this? I can only imagine either
a system of requiring academic references or some sort of test.

There are two things that I think are important here. One is to encourage
those who are dipping their toes into Pauline Studies. The other is that
Pauline scholars at the sort of level you are describing are mostly aready
aware of one anothers' work. It's people on lower levels who would
*really* benefit from this sort of list.

This of course is something of an expression of self-interest. I'm a little
greek and barely a fledgling when it comes to Pauline scholarship. My
french is fluent, but I struggle with academic german. So I'd be excluded
from the start, and it was something I was especially excited by when it
was first mentioned.

But I expect that we academic small fry count for little in the end <sigh>

Regards,

Debbie