Mk 1.19

From: Andrew T. Dolan, M.A., Ph.D. Cand. (dolan@lasalle.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 09:43:55 EST

I would translate Mk 1.19 as " And going on a short distance, he saw
Zebedee's [son] James and his brother John and them in the boat preparing
the nets." At issue for me is how to treat KAI AUTOUS, which doesn't seem
to be translated as "and them" in the major English versions. Are these
AUTOUS somehow a reiteration of Zebedee's sons?

KAI PROBAS OLIGON EIDEN IAKWBON TON TOU ZEBEDAIOU KAI IWANNHN TON ADELPHON
AUTOU KAI AUTOU EN Twi PLOIWi KATARTIZONTAS TA DIKTUA

Andrew T. Dolan, Ph.D. Cand.
Core Adjunct Professor of Religion and Classics
McShain Hall 211
LaSalle University - 129
1900 W. Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141-1199