Re: hORISQENTOS hUIU QEOU (Rom 1:4)

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 13:17:34 EST

>From: "Carl W. Conrad"

>Blahoslav Cicel wrote:

>> I dont know how to structure the text
>>
>>TOU hORISQENTOS hUIU QEOU EN DUNAMEI KATA PNEUMA hAGIWSUNHS EX
>>ANASTASEWS NEKRWN

>> in 4a I see two possibilities:
>>A': TOU hORISQENTOS hUIU QEOU
>>B': EN DUNAMEI
>>C': KATA PNEUMA hAGIWSUNHS
>>D': EX ANASTASEWS NEKRWN
>>
>>or
>>A': TOU hORISQENTOS hUIU QEOU EN DUNAMEI
>>C': KATA PNEUMA hAGIWSUNHS
>>B': EX ANASTASEWS NEKRWN
>>
>>My question is: What is correct? and: Why?

>I would opt for your second arrangement-- >the
one that puts EN DUNAMEI on
>the same line with TOU hORISQENTOS hUIOU QEOU,
>for two basic reasons:
(a) structural: I think the parallelisms
>between (1) the two EK/EX phrases,
>and (2) the two KATA phrases is deliberate;

>(b) I think that EN DUNAMEI is essential to
>complete the meaning of TOU
>hORISQENTOS hUIOU QEOU:

I am wondering if it has to be either-or. Could it not, being directly
between them, apply to both? I don't know just how it would diagram,
but it certainly can be taken with either, and why not both??

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA