Re: Overview of Greek Syntax on Perseus

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 08:19:01 EST

At 6:01 AM -0600 3/26/99, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 5:02 AM -0500 3/26/99, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>Perseus now has an Overview of Greek Syntax online. It looks very useful:
>>
>>http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/~jrydberg/gksynann.html
>>
>>It has links to Smyth's Greek Grammar:
>>
>>http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/text?lookup=smyth+toc
>>
>>Cool, eh?
>
>Yes, it is; it's actually been there for some time now (and I think someone
>called attention to it when it was first put up),

--end of October 1998

>and it should be noted
>that the Smyth's Greek Grammar on-line at the Perseus site is the OUP first

--Astute readers will readily understand that OUP means "out uf print," NOT
Oxford University Press."

>edition, which could be used there because of the expired copyright. It is
>certainly nice to have available on-line, but readers should be aware that
>it is not the same thing as the heavy red volume--the thorougly revised
>edition of Smyth-- currently in print.

The first edition of Smyth's GREEK GRAMMAR was published in 1920 by Harvard
UP; the revised edition prepared by Gordon Messing was published in 1956 by
Harvard UP. I make note of this difference between the two editions because
the section numbering usually referred to in our discussions is to the 1956
revised edition, not to the edition posted on-line at the Perseus site.
Nevertheless, it really IS very nice to have even the first edition
available on-line. Seems to me I've heard or read that the Perseus people
hope to have an on-line text of KŸhner-Gerth at some point in the offing.

Carl W. Conrad