Re: Problems with Jude

From: Jim Denley (DenleyJT@ponce.navy.mil)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 19:43:48 EST

Theodore, I imagine that an expert may be able to address this better, but
I've done some reading in Attic Greek, some in other books of the NT and NT
period Greek. I haven't looked up the passage you discussed from Jude
either, but your question struck me as one I've asked my professors a
number of times, and their reply was usually that the passage holds
together nicely with the series of subordinate clause and prepositional
phrases. They're just wordy. But to have two (I think it was two)
participial phrases and a few prepositional phrases separating the direct
object from the main verb is not that unusual. It's unusual for John where
you've spent a lot of time so far, but I don't think it's unusual, from my
limited experience, for Greek overall. I'm impressed, by the way, that
you're self taught. I needed professors who beat my poor brain into
submission. Not a expert's opinion by any means, but I think it'll hold
true. My address is JDChaplain@aol.com