Re: IHSOUS, SYRIAKHi

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 13:53:20 EST

At 3:21 PM -0300 3/31/99, Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira wrote:
>yochanan bitan wrote:
>> OUC EN THi SYRIAKHi DIALEKTWi [=uvirxan leHag Hade]
>> ALLA THi hEBRAIKHi.
>
>QAUMAZW POLU TOUTO AKOUWN. ARA OUN hH GLWSSA
>hH TOU LOUKIANOU ESTI hH AUTH GLWSSA
>hH TOU IHSOU;
>
>LOUKIANOS GAR LEGEI POLLAKIS hOTI hH GLWSSA AUTOU
>HN hH SURIAKH. KAI DH KAI hOTAN ANAGIGNWSKW
>PERI THS SURIAKHS DIALEKTOS, ESTI hAUTH hH
>DIALEKTOS hH GLWSSA TOU IHESOU; EN THi BRASIL
>LEGOMEQA PERI TOIOUTOU: hOMILEWN MANQANEIS
>PLEON H EN DIDASKALEIWi...

I'll try to respond in English before attempting to convert it to some sort
of Greek. I think that when Lucian claims his language is "Syriac," he
means that it is the Greek that he learned in Syria, NOT What Randall Buth
is referring to as a Syriac form of Aramaic. What should be remembered is
that Lucian came originally from Samosata near the northern end of the
Fertile Crescent toward the upper end of the Tigris River. Does Lucian
actually say that his native language was Syriac? I rather doubt (but I
could be wrong) that he really means that he spoke Aramaic.

EMOI DOKEI hOTI hO LOUKIANOS, KAIPER SURIAKHN FASKWN THN hEAUTOU GLWSSAN
EINAI, BOULETAI MALLON LEGEIN THN SURIAKHN DIALEKTON THS KOINHS hELLHNIKHS
DIILEKTOU, OUCI THN SURIAKHN DIALEKTON THS ARAMAIKHS. hO GAR LOUKIANOS EX
ARCHS EN THi POLEI SAMOSATAi EGENETO, hHPER EPI TWi hUPERTERWI MEREI TOU
POTAMOU TOU TIGRIDOS KEITAI. ARA hWS ALHQWS LEGEI hO LOUKIANOS hOTI SURIAKH
HN hH DIALEKTOS AUTOU? POU TOUTO EGRAYEN?
Carl W. Conrad