Re: Gal 2:20

From: Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira (costa@ufu.br)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 20:59:30 EDT

Dear Sir.
I am not oficially in the B-Greek, because I don't have an email, and I guess that
this is required to join the list. I contacted Carl W. Conrad about the possibility
of joining with the email of a friend, but I didn't receive an answer as yet.
However, I cannot resist the oportunity of commenting some of the articles
that I find most interesting. Below, you will find a few comments on your article.
They are based on Konstantinos' grammar. You can find part of Konstantinos' grammar
in the following site:

http://www.deene.ufu.br/wwwonos/grammar/Grammar0.html

Yours sincerely
C. Navarro.

JDChaplain@aol.com wrote:

Regarding the use of THi in "EN PISTEI ZW THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU."

Languages have different grammatica structure. In Greek, the article may be used
in two syntactical constructions. Konstantinos says:

hH ARQROU SUNTACIS ESTI TOIADE:

TO MEN EPIQETON hEPOMENON TWi ARQRWi ONOMAZETAI
PROSDIORISMOS. TO DE MH hHPOMENON KATHGORHMA H
KATHGOROUMENON LEGETAI. P. X.

PROSDIORISMOI:

     hH PRESBUTEROS PAIS PARWN ETUGXANE

KATHGOROUMENA

    hO ANHR AGAQOS

hOTAN hH FRASIS EXHi KATHGOROUMENON EPIQETON, hO NOUS ESTI
hOMOION THi FRASEI EXOUSHi SUNDETION RHMA - SUNDETIKA RHMATA
ESTI: EIMI, GIGNETAI, FAINOMAI, K.T.L.

To make a long story short, the article can be used in two syntactic constructions:
Prosdiorismon and Kategoroumenon. When it is used in a Prosdiorismon, it is
more or less like the English article (I guess, because my English is not that good).

In the Prosdiorismon construction, the article precedes the EPIQETA (expressions
that reduces the extension of the name; EPIQETA can be adjectives,
prepositional phrases, genitives, or even a name used to restrict the meaning). More
often than not, the EPIQETA becomes sandwiched between the article and the name.

In the Kategoroumenon construction, the article doesn't precedes the EPIQETA.
This construction carries the force of verbs like "to be" and "to become",
which in Greek are called SUNDETIKA RHMATA (I don't know the English name).
Now, pay attention to this point (which was not emphasized
by Konstantinos because he probably didn't know languages with a fixed word
order, like English, French, and Portuguese): In Greek, the word order is free.
Therefore, the Prosdiorismon can be constructed in many ways, the only requirement
being that the EPITHETA follow the article. Therefore, you have a very good
example of Prosdiorismon in the sentence below:

"EN PISTEI ZW THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU."

The EPIQETON is the genitive TOU hUIOU.

This sentence could also be written as:

"EN THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU PISTEI ZW."

Here you have an interesting construction. The article that precedes QEOU
is not the article of that precedes hUIOU. This means that, with respect to
the article that precedes hUIOU, TOU QEOU is in the Kategoroumenon
construction. In other words, you can consider that a SUNDETIKON verb
is linking TOU hUIOU to TOU QEOU. This verb cannot be explicitly expressed
because its name is in the genitive case. Remember: SUNDETIKON verbs can
be expressed when its name is in the nominatve. Otherwise, they must be
represented by the Kategoroumenon construction.

This second version would mean the same thing, but would reduce the
emphasis given to PISTEI.

Let's see the second example. Here, you have a name that is not followed
by the article. In this case, the Kategoroumenon construction has the force
of a SUNDETIKON verb. However, that verb is much weaker than the
verb of a relative clause.
SAULOS, hO KAI PAULOS = Saulos is became Paulos too, or Saulos is Paulos too.

With the relative pronoun, the verb would be emphasized, and the dicothomy be/become
must be resolved.

SAULOS hOS ESTI KAI PAULOS= Saulos, who is Paulo too.