RE: Syntax of Mark 2:2

From: Hultberg, Alan (alan_hultberg@peter.biola.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 11:45:07 EDT

Carl,

My apologies for sending a response to yesterday's postings before reading
today's. This thorough answer is extremely helpful (though the plural rather
than singular article still intrigues me...).

Verse 3 certainly does pull one up short. I'm not sure of a way of attacking
the problem, though, except to examine Mark for similar constructions.
Repeating the subject and verbal idea of the main clause in a participial
clause modifying the object of the main clause strikes me as very unorthodox.
I have thus always concluded that the four carrying the paralytic (in the
modifying clause) are different than those who are advocating for him (in the
main clause). Not a very satisfying argument, I admit.

Thanks again for your thoughtful response.

Alan