Re: Winged Feet (addendum)

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 09:00:59 EDT

        Addendum:

        I forgot to mention that the A)RBULO/PTERON in Lycophro Alexandra
839 is said again of Perseus. Lycophro is also known by is fancy
imagination, when it comes to the creation of new words. So, it seems that
the two words for "winged feet" tells nothing by themselves about the
ancianity of the "Winged Feet" epitheton for Hermes or Perseus. (There is a
translation into English of Lycophro in the Loeb series, and two very good
Spanish translations, one of them done by the editor of the Teubner text.)

        To look for more words for "Winged Feet", I'd suggest looking for
Buck's reverse dictionary of names and adjectives and start there with
-POUS, or looking into one of the many books on the epitheta deorum.