Re: Acts 2:6

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 11:03:17 EDT

dano@ott.net wrote:

> >From one of the many lurkers on the list :-)
>
> This is a passage that has puzzled me for quite some time and I
> would like to ask for help.
>
> This is the story of the upper room experience.. and the question I
> have is this..
>
> (Acts 2:6 KJV) Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude
> came together, and were confounded, because that every man
> heard them speak in his own language.
>
> This gives the connotation that people begin talking about what
> they had heard was going on. (noised abroad)
>
> Darby's and Young's agrees with this..
>
> (Acts 2:6 DNT) But the rumour of this having spread, the multitude
> came together and were confounded, because each one heard
> them speaking in his own dialect.
>
> (Acts 2:6 YLT) and the rumour of this having come, the multitude
> came together, and was confounded, because they were each one
> hearing them speaking in his proper dialect,
>
> But the NIV and NASB sees it differently..
>
> (Acts 2:6 NIV) When they heard this sound, a crowd came
> together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking
> in his own language.
>
> (Acts 2:6 NNAS) And when this sound occurred, the crowd came
> together, and were bewildered because each one of them was
> hearing them speak in his own language.
>
> Gives the connotation that people in the area actually HEARD the
> sound themself. (heard this sound)
>
> acts-02-06 GENOMENHS DE THS FWNHS TAUTHS
> SUNHLQEN TO PLHQOS KAI SUNEXUQH OTI HKOUON EIS
> EKASTOS TH IDIA DIALEKTW LALOUNTWN AUTWN

There are several ways to take this verse. Mine is that "when this (story) was
noised/reported in other countries, those people gathered together (in their own
country) and got to hear it in their own language."

One could also interpret it as saying when this was reported abroad, a crowd
from those countries assembled in Jerusalem and heard it in their own language.

I have problems with the second choice on a number of levels but obviously
the "talking in tongues" tradition developed rapidly enough for it to be a concern
to Paul by 50-55 CE when he wrote to the Corinthians.

Jack

Jack Kilmon jkilmon@historian.net

http://www.historian.net