Does Mark 8:7 use an imperative infinitive' ?

From: Jay Adkins (JAdkins264@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 08 1999 - 10:10:09 EDT

Dear B-Greekers,

While I can find no translation to support of use of an Îimperative
infinitive' in Mark 8:7, it seems to fit the context well. It appears to
be
not without support from the function of the infinitive itself.

The Îimperative infinitive' is "especially frequent in Homer", and while it
"is not of very frequent occurrence" in the NT, "Moulton thinks that its
rarity in the New Testament is a "matter for surprise"(M. 180)." {Dana &
Mantey, page 216} "An infinitive may be used in a predicate structure,
serving the function of a finite verb such as an imperative (commanding
use). This is much more frequent in Greek outside of the NT...." {Porter,
page 201}

Have I missed something about the use of the infinitive as an imperative in
translating:

Mark 8:7 "KAI EICON ICQUDIA, KAI EULOGHSAS AUTA EIPEN KAI TAUTA
PARATIQENIA"

As follows;

8:7 They also had a few small fish, having blessed them, He said, "Now
serve these."

Jay Adkins,
Very Little Greek