Matt 11:28-30

From: Jonathan Ryder (jpr1001@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 04:26:20 EDT

"Kevin L. Barney" wrote:

> Hi, Steve--
>
> The bibliographic index in _Chiasmus in Antiquity_ reports that Nils
Lund
> addresses these verses in his _Chiasmus in the New Testament_ (Chapel
Hill:
> University of North Carolina Press, 1942), at pages 298-301. Lund is
also
> cited by Angelico Di Marco in an unpublished manuscript, _Il Chiasmo
nella
> Bibbia_ (Messina 1975), which is available in German translation in
> Linguistica Biblica 39:40. The Di Marco manuscript is pretty obscure,
but
> I'm sure a number of b-greekers would have a copy of Lund on their
shelf (I
> do not), and perhaps someone would be willing to look this up for you.

> The chiasm I see would be something like
>
> A. heavy laden
> B. yoke upon you
> C. heart
> C'. souls
> B'. yoke is easy
> A'. burden is light
>
> where heart//souls is a Semitic parallel word pair. If this is a
> legitimate chiasm, unless I am missing something it is rather loosely
woven
> across the three verses. (I would however be curious to see what Lund
has
> to say if anyone has the volume handy.)
>
> Kevin L. Barney

Hi Kevin and Steve and b-greekers worldwide,

I don't have time to do this, but I happened to have Lund on my desk,
and so couldn't
resist:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are *heavy laden*
    And I will give you *rest*
        Take my yoke upon you and learn of me
        For I am meek and lowly of heart
    And ye shall find *rest* unto your souls
For my yoke is easy and my *burden* light

* are mine indicating some of key terms in chiasm. Lund states there are
2
corresponding terms in line 1 and 6 and two in line's 3 and 4

For what it's worth, Lund is here discussing Luke's transformation of Mt
11:25-30,
where 25-26=A, 27=B, 28-30=C, where A,B,C are each chiasms and there is
a progressive
thought through A to C ...

Luke quotes A verbatim, modifies B and omits C

Jonathan Ryder

Cambridge
UK