hOTI clause Acts 17:18

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 14:01:18 EDT

Who is speaking at the end of Acts 17:18

hOTI TON IHSOUN KAI THN ANASTASIN EUHGGELIZETO.

I have always assumed that this was a explanatory comment by the
narrator, not an extension of the complaint leveled by the Athenians:

hOI DE, ZENWNDAIMONIWN DOKEI KATAGGELEUS EINAI

After reading of Fitzmyer (AB) and Barrett (ICC) it seems like the hOTI
clause is being treated as words of the Athenians. This is not stated
outright, but seems to be implied. I could be misreading Fitzmyer and
Barrett.

The hOTI clause still looks to me like an interjected comment by the
narrator.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point