Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1 DE NOVO

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 11:11:48 EDT

At 7:51 AM -0700 6/3/99, George Blaisdell wrote:
>It does seem that TH ELEUQUERIA, being in the middle here, could have
>meaning with both sentences, and thus have 'distribution' to both, and thus
>indeed yield a bifurcation of syntax that could only be handled cognitively
>by regarding it as a generic dative, which would require us in English to
>repeat it with different prepositions in each sentence.
>
>My 'too simple' attempt [with exclamation points to see it as the second in
>a series of three rhetorically crescendoing assertions by Paul] to let it
>stand alone sought to circumvent this repetition.
>
>And ya gotta admit: This is more fun than the NY Times Sunday Crossword
>Puzzle!!

It has been interesting, but I have to admit I DO like the NYT Sunday
crossword puzzle, and even more the Double Crostic. But in this instance
too, you can't go out and invent new grammatical categories unless you can
show that the usage is sufficiently common that one could expect
readers/hearers to understand it. The punctuation is, of course, wide open
and I think that Eric's suggestion is indeed worthy of consideration. The
one conclusion I came to yesterday that I felt wholly confident of was that
the text and punctuation as printed in UBS4/NA27 could not legitimately
yield any of the translations offered in the various English versions that
I could find: the text has to be altered, edited, or deemed corrupt. New
punctuation is a legitimate editing exercise that does the least damage to
the MS tradition.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu