Re: Acts 17:27

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 11 1999 - 16:17:25 EDT

I am going to respond to Carl's excellent post in segments due to time
constraints. I will have some more comments on the main question later.

Carl wrote:
> The text you cite from D for the second clause of 17 is interesting for the
> forms of the aorist optative found in them:
>
>>EI ARA GE YHLAFHSAISAN AUTO H hEUROISAN,
>
> UBS4/NA27 have YHLAFHSEIEN and hEUROIEN, the proper Attic aorist optative 3
> pl; on the other hand D's YHLAFHSAISAN shows the all-purpose 3d pl.
> secondary ending -SAN attached to a first-aorist optative stem, whereas the
> classical ending would have given YHLAFHSAIEN; the same all-purpose 3d pl.
> secondary ending -SAN also shows up attached to a second aorist stem in
> hEUROISAN. I've never seen this elsewhere, although it is intelligible and
> undoubtedly does reflect the fluctuation of morphology of the later Koine:
> it is what we were calling, a few weeks ago, "bad" but intelligible Greek.

Barrett (Acts ICC, p844) mentions that this form of the optative is
commen in the LXX. I made a search of the LXX for -SAN as a suffix of
aorist optatives and here are the citations:

Gen. 48:16
Gen. 49:8
Deut. 1:44
Deut. 33:7