Re: Hebrews 11:4

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 26 1999 - 18:04:36 EDT

<x-rich>At 3:43 PM -0500 6/26/99, Dennis M. Wells wrote:

    I am presently working through Hebrews 11:4 to preach tomorrow (I
know, but we had VBS this week) Nonetheless, I was wondering about the
EINAI following the EMARTURHQH. While I do not think it affects
exegesis much, is the infinitive functioning as a direct object?

    I think that the DIKAIOS is a predicate nominative. is the EINAI
making this emphatic or is it just a different way of formulating the
sentence? (by the way, I skimmed Wallace and the archives before
posting this - even Lane's Word commentary wasn't much help)

</fontfamily>It's really pretty straightforward EMARTURHQH EINAI
DIKAIOS = DIKAIOS HN hWS PISTEI EMARTURHQH; DIKAIOS is a predicate
nominative and EINAI is simply the infinitive of indirect statement
after a passive introductory verb: "he was attested by faith to be
righteous" = "it was attested by faith that he was righteous."

Carl W. Conrad

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

</x-rich>