RE: ekklesia

From: Brian & Tina Perkins (perkinsfam@geocities.com)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 01:41:21 EDT

Mitchell and all,

> How should the Greek word "ekklesia" be translated: Church or Congregation?

Maybe neither one!

Considering that the NT is replete with statements such as "we are aliens" and "you have been called out...", I prefer the more literal gloss of "called out".

For example, look at 1 Cor. 14:23
EAN OUN SUNELQH H EKKLHSIA OLH EPI TO AUTO ...
"if then the whole assembly assemble ..."

I don't think so.

More literally:
"if the called-out assemble in one place..."

Or, to paraphrase a little:
"if the called-out [of this world's methods and goals] people happen to meet in the same place..."

My toppins worth,
Brian