Re: to lay hands upon

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Sun Aug 01 1999 - 18:15:34 EDT

Wieland Willker wrote:

> Jim West:
> > What makes you think the phrase serves as some
> > kind of metaphor???
>
> 1. Do you think the rulers go out personally and grab him?

In these days, anything done by the agency of a high person
is credited to that high person. A king could be relaxing
in his tent being fanned and fed sugared figs while his
army is engaged in battle. Guess who the great warrior is
that "broke the back" of his enemies?

> 2. Do you think when they actually have him "they could not take him
> because the hour of his arrest had not yet come?"

John connects the "Temple Police" with the Pharisees
which doesn't make sense to me since the temple was
administered by the Sadducees and the HP. Of course
when John was written, there were no Sadducees and the
only faction left to take the heat of Christian
polemic was the Pharisees. This may be an injustice.
These Pharisees, who are always taking it on the nose,
are only attested to having defended the Jesus folks.

I am going to assume that these temple police were
acting on behalf of their boss, Joseph Caiaphas.

There's probably a lot of fiction wrapped up in some
of this but it is possible that Jesus avoided arrest
at this time.

Jack

Jack Kilmon jkilmon@historian.net

http://www.historian.net