Re: Zerwick

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 00:24:45 EDT

I am not qualified to make an authoritative judgment, but from a different
perspective I'd say that even though it's perhaps "dated," Zerwick wins
HANDS DOWN for portability compared to the new Cleon Rogers book. Indeed,
Rogers' is no longer a "handbook." Either Edgar Krentz or Edward Hobbs said
a few years ago that Rogers was a bit condescending in tone, or something
to that effect, and it did seem a little "preachier" than Zerwick. I don't
know that the new Rogers is much different in this respect. The emphasis is
different in each - I guess I am more looking for the things Zerwick points
out than what Rogers does - though I haven't made a rigorous side-by-side
comparison of the two. Zerwick is overpriced, in my opinion, but that and a
Greek New Testament make a lightweight backpack load to the coffee shop for
some study time, and the new Rogers does not. Neither of them gets into
discourse analysis that I can tell. Rogers refers to a lot of
sources/references. If all you want is something for studying Ephesians, I
would think a good commentary or commentaries is better, but if you want
something to help you when all you need is a word parsed or defined, or for
some translation help, I think its size makes Zerwick the winner still.
Then get the little Greek handconcordance from American Bible Society and
an Abbott-Smith Manual Lexicon - and you still have a light,
backpack-weight "library" you can easily carry when that cappuccino craving
hits.

If anyone has done an authoritative review of the new Rogers vs. Zerwick,
I'd like to read it.

- Eric Weiss
eweiss@gte.net