Re: Luk 24:13 how far to Emmaus?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 16:12:22 EDT

At 8:58 AM -0400 8/8/99, Bryan Rocine wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Might the use of the word in Luke 24:13 APEXOUSAN be
>idiomatic for a
>"round trip" distance of 60 furlongs to Emmaus rather than a
>"one way
>trip"? Thanx!

I don't think this could be the case for two reasons:

(a) The text reads: KAI IDOU DUO EX AUTWN EN AUTHi THi hHMERAi HSAN
POREUOMENOI EIS KWMHN APECOUSAN STADIOUS hEXHKONTA APO IEROUSALHM, hHi
ONOMA EMMAOUS. The participle APECOUSAN is in agreement with KWMHN and is
qualified by APO IEROUSALHM: "a village REMOVED FROM Jerusalem"--and this
with an adverbial accusative of extent--"a village sixty stades away from
Jerusalem."

(b) APECEI with an APO + genitive means "is distant from (x)." It is a
common enough idiom, the exact equivalent of Latin DISTAT AB ... (+
ablative). See LSJ, s.v. APECW, III. intransitive.

There is an expression DIAULODROMEW, "return to the starting point" based
upon the fact that a runner on the race track or DIAULOS had to reach the
turning point at one end and come back to the original starting point; this
does get used, apparently, for making a round trip, but there's no
indication of anything like that in Lk 24:13, and I can't see any way of
making the Greek refer to anything but a one-way distance of 60 stades.

Carl W. Conrad