Re: the relationship of the "B" and the "Greek"

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 13:55:43 EDT

There have in fact been a few instances of the line crossed, but on very
few occasions has this resulted in removal from the list. Normally we try
to contact individuals off-list when we feel that List Netiquette has been
violated, and we have almost always been successful in securing assurance
that such violations will not be repeated. Although our diplomacy has not
always been as tactful as we'd wish, we've made a sincere effort to be fair
and judicious in preserving the comity and civility of discourse on B-Greek.

At 10:24 AM -0700 8/10/99, Scott Sherwood wrote:
>Has that line actually been crossed and recorded? Is there precedent
>to follow in terms of judging consistently inappropriate posts?
>
>I don't expect to cross the line, but perhaps that would make it more
>clear for people.

We try not to spell out in advance what MUST not be discussed, beyond
urging that people steer clear of questions that are driven by theological
and hermeneutical agendas rather than an endeavor to understand the
Biblical Greek text or Biblical Greek language. If and when we feel there's
a peril of a flame-war, we step in to cut off a thread.

>I really like B-Greek, and I hope its high standards can be maintained.

Amen!

>--- "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:
>> At the core of
>> our discussion, however,
>> is not what our convictions are but what the Greek
>> text may legitimately be
>> understood to mean. If discussion of this nature is
>> to succeed, proper
>> respect and courtesy to other list members is
>> important. While scholarly
>> debate, including disagreement, is encouraged as a
>> goal of this conference,
>> attacks upon the character, intelligence, or faith
>> of those participating
>> are not acceptable. Criticism must focus upon the
>> arguments of others; it
>> may not be directed to the individual. Those who
>> violate this policy will
>> be contacted politely by the B-Greek staff and
>> requested to conform to
>> these guidelines. Those who continue to violate the
>> policy will no longer
>> be welcome in the conference."

Carl W. Conrad