Re: Word For Evil

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 08:18:12 EDT

<x-flowed>At 12:56 AM 8/24/99 -0700, Dave Burris wrote:

>Kakos= from what I see is an evil one can be involved in or better yet
>"can become"; ie 1 Thess 5:15

I'm not sure what you are reasoning from. The phrase here is:

1 Thess 5:15 hORATE MH TIS KAKON ANTI KAKOU TINI APODWi

In this passage, KAKOS is something that one can give to another, and the
command is to not give evil in exchange for evil. I see no "get involved
in" or "become" in the context. KAKOS can mean that which is morally bad,
that which is just yucky, or that which is injurious.

>Poneros= from what I understand is the desire intent to cause, or commit
>evil. or " a desire to commit evil that is already in you".

PONHROS often does mean wicked, evil, bad, worthless, degenerate, and can
refer to an evil or wicked person. And it is often applied to the devil. I
don't know if this holds water, but I think that PONHROS is used for a
fairly extreme form of evil, that it is much stronger than KAKOS, and that
KAKOS is used to describe the kind of bad and evil that occurs in the
believing community, but PONHROS generally refers to a kind of evil that is
strong enough that those who practice it are not part of the community. I
am not sure that this is correct, but there are enough people on this list
who can correct me that I don't mind saying this to see how it holds up. My
reading of the passage is that there are forms of evil, and we are to stay
away from them.

On this list, we focus on the text, so I am not responding to the sermon
points you are making.

Jonathan

Jonathan
Robie