RE: The Septuaginta -off topic

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 06:44:33 EDT

At 3:12 AM -0700 8/31/99, Steve Puluka wrote:
>My apologies to the list, I must clarify my answer about Roman Catholics use
>of the LXX. I was working from my faulty memory of another tradition.
>Charles was kind enough to point this out in a private E-mail that I
>researched and post below.
>
>Not being Roman Catholic, I was indeed confusing Jeromes work with the old
>Latin texts. I mistakenly assumed that since Trent accepted the "Greek
>Only" books from the LXX they had accepted the entire LXX. I was mistaken.
>
>Which sort of leads me back to the start of my original response,
>"authority" is in the eyes of the beholder. When one speaks of inspiration
>in these texts we leave the texts and grammer behind (and b-greek too) and
>enter into faith and theology. Ultimately this is not a matter for "proof"
>but belief.

It is true that the later parts of this thread have been outside the
ordinary range of B-Greek discussion, but I have personally learned a lot
that I did not know and am gratified to have come to understand about
versions of the OT deemed authoritative in different ecclesiastical
traditions; while I was well aware of considerable difference over the OT
apocryphal works, I had no idea that such differences were at play (wrong
phrase, I guess!) in the matter of OT versions. So this has really been
informative. My thanks to those who've illuminated these matters for any
who, like me, have been in the dark about it.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu