RE: b-greek digest: September 02, 1999

From: Ed Gorham (aekalm@a-znet.com)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 09:47:31 EDT

Phil,

I recently gave such a talk for an adult SS class. As background I used
some of the books you've mentioned (I have a problem or two with Comfort's
book), as well as James White's "The King James Only Controversy" and
another book by Comfort called "The Complete Guide To Bible Versions ".
I've also picked up a book recently that looks like a great survey, called
"The Journey From Texts To Translations" by Paul Wegner, published by
Baker. It deals with textual transmission, canon, and early and modern
translations.

Granted, I'm still learning a lot about this myself, but still I had to
watch the level of my presentation. You never want to talk above your
audience, and if it is a fairly conservative congegation, issues like
textual criticism can create some unrest. It needen't be avoided, but I'm
simply saying that regular layfolk who don't read this stuff can come with
a different set of assumptions about the Bible, and I had to be careful in
how I presented the information.

End result: it went great! Have fun.

Ed Gorham
aekalm@a-znet.com