Re: KANWN

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 16:55:00 EDT

mauros@iol.ie said:
> At 15:42 17/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >KANWN is used in Gal. 6:16 and 2 Cor. 10:13,15,16.
> >In Gal. 6:16 it is referring to the 'rule' of a new creation. In 2 Cor.
> >it is referring to a region where Paul wishes to preach the gospel.

> Louw & Nida list KANWN under two domains:
> Law, Regulation, Ordinance Space
> They are, however, in no doubt, as to which categorry the Gal. usage
> falls:

> 33.335 KANWN -ONOS m : a rule involving a standard for conduct -
> `rule, principle.' ....................... `as many as follow this
> rule' Ga 6.16.

In another posting Maurice says:
> Under the domain "Space" we find:
> "an area of activity, defined geographically and functionally - `area,
> sphere, territory.' .........`and shall not have to boast of work
> already done in another person's area' 2 Cor 10.16.

Actually, I have Louw & Nida (just got it :-) and this is what spawned my
question. When I think of 'rule' I think of "Do this activity." However, in
Gal. 6 it's not like that.

Interestingly, Moulton and Milligan cite a 175 B.C usage that refers to a
carpenter's level. Today, we have a "carpenter's rule" which gives an near
exact measurement, a carpenter's level is much more by eye--you try to get
close. Though they do mention a use of a "measuring line," they go on to say
that they are unable to cite usages "meaning 'a measured area' or 'province',
which KANWN apparently has in 2 Cor."

MM coupled with L&N gave me the idea that KANWN might be referring to the
cultural demeanor or dictates of a common society that, in the secular sense,
characterize that region (thus my reference to Chinatown. Another example,
might be 'Appalachia'.)

If I'm right (or close to correct), then Paul's use of KANWN in Galatians is a
striking play on words. In effect, he is saying that the cultural norm for
believers is wholly different than 'the obeying of rules' (Do's and Don'ts).
He carefully selects a word that doesn't quite mean 'obey a rule' and yet does
carry the idea of conformity.

I'm still very interested in any feedback and thanks Maurice for yours.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us