Re: [Re: UPO and its meaning in Galatians]

From: Dmitriy Reznik (dpreznik@usa.net)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 21:53:32 EDT

"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:

All of these are instances of hUPO with accusative, all have the
directional sense "downward in relationship to" = "under", and all of them
in these passages from Galatians have the metaphorical extended sense of
"under," namely, "subject to" or "under the authority/power of." Does that
satisfy?

Regards, cwc

Dear Carl,

Thank you very much! Does it mean that in Gal 3:23 "UPO NOMON" should refer to
"SUGKLEIOMENOI" and not to "EFROUROUMEQA" ("were shut up", and not "were
kept"), unlike AV says:
"But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith
which should afterwards be revealed"?
Also though in Gal 4:4 it can be easy understood, how somebody can be born [to
be] under the Law, can the same expression in v.5 mean also "direction", and
not a place? "To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive
the adoption of sons". If not, can the same expression in vv.4 and 5 mean
different things?
Also can this preposition mean place in general?

With respect,

Dmitriy