Re: Aorist infinitive: Col 1.20

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 01:34:11 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Logan <caltom@gate.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 3:00 PM

> My question concerns
>
> Col 1:20
>
> KAI DI AUTOU APOKATALASSAXAI TA PANTA EIS AUTON EIRENOPOIESAS DIA TOU
> HAIMATOS TOU STAUROU AUTOU EITE TA EPI TES GES EITE TA EN TOIS OURANOIS
>
> and the aorist infinitive apokatallaxai (to reconcile) It appears to be
> an infinitive of purpose. Does the aorist mean we are to look at it as a
> past time event

No. The past time here also is found in the context: in this case, the Aor.
Indic. EUDOKHSEN of v19. God was pleased, in Christ, 1. for fulness to
dwell, 2. and to reconcile all to him. In this case, the 'particle' view of
indwelling and reconcilation are invoked.

Regarding the Aor. ptc. EIRHNOPOIHSAS, this action accompanies, or perhaps
simply recharacterizes, the action of APOKATALLACAI, and again emphasizes
the 'particle' perspective.

Are the 'particle' and 'wave' perspectives in conflict? No, they are simply
different ways to view and present the same event/item/etc. For example, a
'house' can be viewed as a 'particle' when it is sold. A single address can
identify it. Yet on closer inspection, the house is more like a wave--if
you watch it being built, it starts w/ lumber and supplies, which are then
organized in to the current house; someday it will decay and fall apart.
(There is also a 'field' perspective: the floorplan of the house; for
"tenses", the 'field' perspective could be the *relative* times of events
with each other within the text, as oppposed to the time between me and the
time of the referrenced events.)

These are good examples where the time of events is not related directly to
the tense of the ptc. or infinitive.

Joe Friberg
Arlington, TX