Re: Samaritan Pentateuch and GREEK!

From: J.K. Aitken (jka12@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 07:08:45 EDT

Dear B-Greekers,

        In case any of you feel that this discussion is too much to do
with Hebrew and not Greek, let me add a few points on the significance for
the Greek Bible, especially for those who do not have James Purvis' book,
the Samaritan Pentateuch... at hand.
        The history of the Biblical text has been illumined greatly by
the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls and how they indicate that many of
the LXX readings are derived from earlier or different Hebrew texts (to
put it in a very rough nutshell). The Sam Pentateuch is also an important
witness to this.
        For the question of the addition of waw ('and') in the text, which
Paul Zellmer asked about, I can do no better than quote Purvis, who
(contrary to my previous mailing) does say something in passing (p. 73):

"The textual tradition of SP agrees with the LXX against MT in
approximately 1,900 instances [quoting Kahle 1915 on the history of the
Pentateuchal text]. Some of these are significant textual variants, but
some are slight, such as the syndetic use of the waw in about two hundred
cases in SP and LXX against MT's asyndetic construction."

        Yours,

        Jim Aitken