Re: KATA PANTA, DIA PANTA

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 23:32:25 EDT

<x-flowed>Thanks for the scripture references for KATA PANTA. The following are LXX
excerpts using KATA PANTA that may be relavent to the usage in Liturgy. All
quotations are from Brenton's translation and Greek text.

The phrase seems to frequently be on the lips of God in his instructions to
Moses. The references are all manner of actions and things. Likewise the
phrase is used when Moses passes on these wishes to the people of Israel.
While this is clearly not the exclusive use of this phrase there does seem
to be a strong association here that might have influenced the selection by
Chrysostom. Chrysostom's liturgy is marked by frequent direct quotations
from the Old Testament and allusions to the same.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor

Numbers 5:9-God speaking to Moses on sin and first fruit offerings
Refers to all the things offered in sacrifice to God
And every first-fruits in all the sanctified things among the children of
Israel
KAI PASA hAPARH KATA PANTA TA hAGIAZOMENA hEN UIOIS ISRAIL

Exodus 1:14
Not relevant context-Israelite slavery verse

Exodus 25:9-God giving instructions to Moses on the Tabernacle
Refers to all the ojects to build for the tabernacle
And thou shalt make for me according to all things which I shew thee in the
mountain.
KAI POIHEIS MOI KATA PANTA OSA SOI DEIKNUW hEN TW OREI TO PARADEIGMA THS
SKHNHS

Exodus 25:22-God speaks to Moses in the sanctuary
Refers to the commands God gives to Moses
even in all things I shall charge thee concerning the children of Israel.
KAI KATA PANTA OSA hEAN hENTEILWMAI SOI PROS TOUS UIOUS ISRAHL

Exodus 29:35-God instructs Moses on the role of Aaron
Refers to all the sacrifices Aaron is to make at the tabernacle
And thus shalt thou do for Aaron and for his sons according to all things
that I have commanded thee; seven days shalt thou fill their hands.
KAI POIHSEIS AARWN KAI TOIS UIOIS AUTOU AUTW KATA PANTA OSA hENETEILAMHN SOI
hEPTA HMERAS TELEIWSEIS TAS CEIRAS AUTWN.

Exodus 31:5-God instructs Moses on selecting Beseleel the Craftsman to make
holy objects
Refers to all types of craftsman ship he will build for worship
and works in stone, and for artifcers work in wood, to work at all works.
KAI TA LIQOURGIKA, KAI EIS TA ERGA TA TEKTONIKA TWN XULWN, hERGAZESQAI KATA
PANTA TA ERGA.

Exodus 31:11-God finishes appoint instructions for incense and objects
Refers to both the objects of worship, garments and incense
and the anointing oil and the compound incense of the sanctuary; according
to all that I have commanded thee shall they make them.
KAI TO ELAION THS CRISEWS, KAI TO QUMIAMA THS SUNQESEWS TOU hAGIOU KATA
PANTA OSA hEGW hENETEILAMHN SOI, POIHSOUSI

Leviticus 5:4-Not relevant refers to the law on a persons unintential sin

leviticus 13:51-Priest review sores for leprosy

Numbers 1:54-Instructions for setting the camp of Israel
Refers to setting the order of the camp per God's instructions
And the children of Israel did according to all that the Lord commanded
Moses and Aaron, so did they.
KAI hEPOIHSAN OI UIOI ISRAHL, KATA PANTA A hENETEILATO KURIOS TW MWUSH KAI
hAARWN, OUTWS hEPOIHSAN.

Numbers 3:8-God speaking to Moses about the role of Aaron and the Levites
Refers to the furniture of the tabernacle
KAI FULAZOUSI PANTA TA SKEUH THS SKHNHS TOU MARTURION, KAI TAS FULAKAS TWN
UIWN hISRAHL KATA PANTA TA ERGA THS SKHNHS.

Numbers 4:27-God speaking to Moses about the role of Aaron and the children
of Gedson.
Refers to all the duties to be borne by both groups
According to the direction of Aaron and his sons shall be the ministry of
the sons of Gedson, in all their ministries, and in all their works; and
thou shat take account of them by name in all things borne by them.
KATA STOMA hAARWN KAI TWN UIWN AUTOU ESTAI hH LEITOURGIA TWN UIWN GEDSWN
KATA PASAS TAS LEITOURGIAS AUTWN, KAI KATA PANTA TA ERGA AUTWN. KAI
hEPISKEYH AUTOUS hEX hONOMATOS PANTA TA hARTA hUP AUTWN.

Numbers 4:31-God speaking to Moses on the role of the sons of Mari
Refers to their service in the tabernacle
And these are the charges of the things borne by them according to all their
works in the tabernacle of witness:
KAI TAUTA TA FULAGMATA TWN AIROMENWN hUP AUTWN KATA PANTA TA ERGA AUTWN hEN
TH SKHNH TOU MARTURIOU

Numbers 18:7-God speaking to Aaron on how to exercise his ministry
Refers to all their duties in the tabernacle
And thou and thy sons after thee shall keep up your priestly ministration,
according to the whole manner of the altar and that whic is within the veil;
and ye shall minister in the services as the office of your priesthood;
KAI SU KAI OI UIOI SOU META SOU DIATHRHSETE THN hIERATEIAN UMWN KATA PANTA
TROPON TOU QUSIASTHRION, KAI TO ENDOQEN TOU hIIERATEIAS hUMWN

Numbers 30:1-Moses speaks to the people after the Lord finishes with him on
the sacrifices for each day.
And Moses spoke to the people of Israel according to all that the Lord had
commanded Moses.
KAI hELALHSE MWUSHS TOIS UIOIS ISRAHL KATA PANTA OSA hENETEILATO KURIOS TW
MWUSH.

Deuteronomy 1:3-Moses speaks to the people on the banks of the Jordon before
taking the Holy Land.
And it came to pass in the fortieth year, in the eleventh month, on the
first day of the month, Moses spoke to all the children of Israel, according
to all things which the Lord commanded him for them:
KAI hEGENHQH hEN TW TESSARAKOSTW ETEI hEN TW hENDEKATW MHNI MIA TOU MHNOS,
ELALHSE MWUSHS PROS PANTAS UIOUS ISRAHL, KATA PANTA OSA hENETEILATO KURIOS.

Deuteronomy 1:30-Moses still speaking on the history of the people leaving
Egypt
Refers to all the works of power of God for Israel.
the Lord your God who goes before your face, he shall fight against them
together with you effectually, according to all that he wrought for you in
the land of Egypt;
KURIOS O QEOS UMWN O PROPOREUOMENOS PRO PROSWPON UMWN, AUTOS SUNEKPOLEMHSEI
AUTAUS MEQ UMWN KATA PANTA OSA hEPOIHSEN UMIN hEN GH AIGUPTW.

Deuteronomy 1:41-Moses still speaking on the history of the people leaving
Egypt
Refers to the commands of the Lord which the people failed to obey
And ye answered and said, We have sinned before the Lord our God; we will go
up and fight according to all that the Lord our God has commanded us:
KAI hAPEKRIQHTE, KAI EIPATE, HMARTOMEN ENANTI KURIOU TOU QEOU HMWN HMEIS
hANABANTES POLEMHSOMEN KATA PANTA OSA hENETEILATO KURIOS O QEOS HMWN HMIN.

Deuteronomy 4:8-Moses still speaking regarding the laws of God for Israel
Refers to all God's commands
And what manner of nation is so great, which has righteous ordinances and
judgements according to all this law, which I set before you this day?
KAI POION EQNOS MEGA, Q hESTIN AUTW DIKAIWMATA KAI KRIMATA DIKAIA KATA PANTA
TON NOMON TOUTON, ON hEGW DIDWMI hENWPION hUMWN SHMERON.