old new mss

From: Dave Scarpino (angs@sssnet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 19:11:00 EDT

First let me thank Carl and Steven for their attempt to understand my
poorly posted question, ãfirst post everä, to B-Greek. Steven, ãno thanks
to my wordingä, seemed to grasp my intent.

I am a 46 year old, self-tutored Greek student, studying the language via
limited resources. My sources for learning Greek text have been, ãGeorge
Ricker Berry, Interlinear Greek New Testamentä, and my foundation for
learning the language is ãWilliam Hersey Davis, Beginnerâs Grammar of the
Greek New Testamentä, and some computer software like ãParsonâs Beginners
Greek Grammarä, not to leave out reading B-Greek posts.

My lack of formal education makes much of the terminology and source
citations alien to me. I want to learn, and beg your forgiveness for my bad
start.

If I could restate my question:

I understand KJV and NIV, and so many others are translations of Greek into
English. I am looking for the source for the differences, not in
translations, but in Greek texts, äMSS.ä When comparing my Greek text used
to translate KJV and NIV. In Matt 5:44, and elsewhere, there is such a
difference in the number of words in the Greek text, how can I know which
is reliable?

Example: -------------------------------------------------------------
My KJV,GNT shows 26 words including:
EPEREAZO,
MISEW,
KATARA,

Which are not in NIV,GNT which has only 14 words in verse 44.

I understand there is a difference between earlier and later Greek MMS and
that the earlier the better, but
could someone tell me where I can acquire copies of these MSSs that were
used in translations,
so I may see for myself why translations varied so much.

I will look into, Nestle-Aland's "Novum Testamentum Graece" (27th edition)
and the NA27, which I have neither copy.

Please explain: Textus Receptus and the Majority Text.

I hope my question is more appropriately stated, and not too far off the
purpose of B-Greek.

Dave Scarpino