1 Cor 7:12-16

From: Trevor and Margaret Nicholls (tmjpbn@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 04:03:00 EDT

Hi

This question is not about the (so called) Pauline privilege,
before anyone tries to link it with the Matt 19 thread :-(

v12 (similar v13) "and she agrees to dwell with him"
    KAI AUTH SUNEUDOKEI OIKEIN MET AUTOU
"let him not leave her"
    MH AFIETW AUTHN

Do these present tenses mean:
 a. if she gives her agreement now to continue to live with him
  he should not leave her?
 b. if she continues to agree to live with him he should not
  leave her (until and unless she no longer agrees)?
  c.either of the above, with no preference?

I'd like to know if there is such a nuance because the perfect
tense in v14
"that's because (GAR, after all!) the faithless husband *has
been sanctified* by the wife"
    HGIASTAI GAR O ANHR O APISTOS EN TH GUNAIKI

may imply a time from which the sanctification dates (the
time of the believing partner's sanctification? the time of
the unbeliever's consent?) Or does this sanctification follow
so long as the unbeliever consents?

(I think it is the unbelieving partner's decision which counts,
because v16 explains why the believing partner can't take the
initiative in a separation. But that's by the by).

Thanks

Trevor and Margaret Nicholls
e-mail: tmjpbn@ihug.co.nz