Re: DIKAIOS

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 09:46:47 EDT

<x-flowed>To: Carl W. Conrad,

<< ... ; in your previous post on this, you were urging that DIKAIOS meant
"civilized" here ... >>

I apologize, for I expressed myself poorly there. What I meant to say was
DIKAIOS can at times mean "civilized" and I find that to be an interesting
translation for this term (a moot point as far as Mt 1:19 is concerned),
but at Mt 1:19 I would take it to mean "Torah observant" (or something
similar). In other words, I would concur with Father Brown and Davies and
Allison. The point I was arguing for was: << it would be a fallacy to
assume that 1st century Torah observant Jews always followed the letter of
their law, when there is evidence that 1st century Jewish jurisprudence
held that one could fulfill the command to "purge the evil from your midst"
(cf. Deut 22:20-21) through divorce. >> Thus it makes sense to me to see
Joseph as "Torah observant" in his willingness to divorce (as opposed to
stone) Mary.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com