Re: 1 Timothy 2:12

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 16 1999 - 20:38:59 EDT

<x-rich>At 8:13 PM -0700 10/16/99, Michael Abernathy wrote:

<excerpt>I would like some feedback on two questions concerning 1
Timothy 2:12.

</excerpt>

Text: DIDASKEIN DE GUNAIKI OUK EPITREPW OUDE AUQENTEIN ANDROS, ALL'
EINAI EN hHSUCIAi.

<excerpt>1. Is it probable that authentein gives the purpose for the
teaching which Paul forbids?

</excerpt>

In terms of the grammar of the sentence, I would not say it's probable:
the two infinitives are coordinated, which to me seems to indicate that
"teaching" is not in itself deemed an instance of exercising
authority.

<excerpt>2. Is the following translation viable?

I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority independent
of her husband?

</excerpt>

I think this is quite unlikely; more likely is "exercise authority over
a man." ANDROS is the genitive direct complement in this instance; many
verbs of governing or ruling take a genitive direct complement.
Moreover, I would personally expect that if ANDROS referred
specifically to the husband of the woman referred to be GUNAIKI, there
would be an article and the phrase would be AUQENTEIN TOU ANDROS.

Carl W. Conrad

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

</x-rich>