Re: 1cor 9:5 double accusative

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 22:59:16 EDT

Rion Reece wrote;

>In 1 Corinthians 9:5 it says,
>
>MH OUK ECOMEN EXOUSIAN ADELQHV GUNAIKA...
>
>I can see that "a believing wife" is probably best here, but this double
>accusative seemed a little strange to me. I read the section on
>accusatives in Wallace's Beyond the Basics, but I am am still uncertain.
> Is this simple apposition? It seems a little bit different to me from
>the examples cited. Rather than GUNAIKA expaining ADELQHN, it seems to
>me as if ADELQHN is functioning adjectivally. Can an accusative do
>that?

This would not be a double accusative. It seems more like apposition. "Do
we not have the right to take along a sister, a wife?"

A double accusative in Greek functions much like an object complement in
English. A good eg. would be Mk 6:34 HRXATO DIDASKEIN AUTOUS POLLA. He
began to teach them many things." This would be an example of personal and
impersonal. Others would be primary and secondary. eg. Acts 13:5, EICON
IWANNHN hUPHRETHN. "The had John (as) an assistent." In the later it is
necessary to add something in between. Some deal with these by
understanding some form of the verb to be between them and dealing with
them as predicate accusatives. This seems to me to be needlessly
complicated.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College