the second subjunctive John 15:8

From: Jay Adkins (JAdkins264@aol.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 07:49:16 EDT

The hINA + subjunctive clauses was recently well explained to me by Prof.
Carl W. Conrad and I thought I had finally gotten a good understanding of
it, then I ran across John 15:8. The different translations I use to help
me decide if I am on the right track served only to confuse the issue this
time. Below are a few:

John 15:8 (GNT) EN TOUTW EDOXASQH O PATHR MOU, hINA KARPON POLUN FERHTE KAI
GENHSQE EMOI MATHTAI

8 "By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and [so]
prove to be My disciples. (NASB)
8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing
yourselves to be my disciples. (NIV)
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be
my disciples. (KJS)
8 Here is my Father's glory, in that you give much fruit and so are my
true disciples. (BBE)
8 `In this was my Father glorified, that ye may bear much fruit, and ye
shall become my disciples. (YLT)
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; and [so] shall
ye be my disciples. (ASV)

My question is about the second subjunctive (GENHSQE) and how it should be
considered. Should it be treated much like the first one (FERHTE) or since
it is separated by a KAI considered as a "normal" subjunctive? Or due to
context should it be considered in some other fashion?

My guess is that it is still a part of the purpose or reason and should be
translated something like;

8 In this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my
disciples.

Sola Gratia,
      Jay
Always Under Grace!