Re: Song of the Sea LXX

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 21:52:27 EST

<x-flowed>>From: "clayton stirling bartholomew"

>Ex 15:11 a & b,
>
>TIS hOMOIOS SOI EN QEOIS, KURIE;
>
>TIS hOMOIOS SOI, DEDOXASMENOS IN hAGIOIS,

The Old Church Slavonic Translation is:
(I am transcribing this from cyrillic phonetically the - indicates the
"hard" pronunciation character)

KTO PODOBEN- TEBJE V- BOZICH- HOSPODI,
KTO PODOBEN- TEBJE? PROSLAVLEN- V- SVATICH-
DIVEN- V- SLAVJE TVORJAI CHUDESA.

My literal school primer translation would read:

Who is the same as You within (the) gods O Lord,
who is the same as You? Glorified within (the) Holy Ones,
Wonderous(or majestic) in Glory (are) your miracles.

Your point is well made. The Old Church Slavonic translation supports the
readings of Gods and Holy ones. Both BOZICH- and SVATICH- are the words in
question. These are clearly plural prepositional endings.

Now come the qualifications.

Since the Old Church Slavonic is a translation of the Greek we would expect
this to follow the Septuagint readings. Jellicoe (The Septuagint in Modern
Study, p. 262) notes that the Pentatuch translations to Old Church Slavonic
are very old but that scholars are divided on the ultimate Greek source from
which they derive. There are points where the translation seems to follow
each of the major versions leaving open the posibility that Cyril had as yet
still lost version to produce this translation. But few people feel this
version is of much value to text critism.

In defense of the translation we use currently. This was produced by the
Sisters of St. Basil Liturgical Commission in Uniontown, PA. The Triodion
of the Great Fast was original prepared in the early Eighties with this
revised and expanded version published in 1995. When I discussed this work
with a member of the original commission in the mid-Eighties he told me that
the translations were being done from the Old Church Slavonic but he used a
reference translation from Old Church Slavonic to French to check his work.
He is a scholar, with full knowledge to teach multiple languages. While my
old professor, Father Chornyak, would be proud that I still read and
translate Old Slavonic but I am not an expert.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor