Re: 1 Peter 3:24

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 14:12:22 EST

<x-flowed>At 01:27 22/11/99 +0800, you wrote:
>I am working on an exegesis of 1 Peter 2:18-25 and have noticed a
>translation oddity which I cannot seem to find any explanation for in the
>books.
>
>In verse 24 I have yet to find an English translation which translates TW
>MWLWPI in the singular. Even though the word only occurs here in the NT it
>is used a number of times in the LXX.

Barry:
  Louw-Nida
  [ Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains
Johannes P. Louw and Eugene A. Nida, Eds United Bible Societies]
actually translates " because he was wounded, you were healed' and adds
this note:
"MWLWY appears to be a welt or bruise caused specifically by blows or
beating, but the context of 1 Pe 2.24 appears to be highly generic."

And BAGD straddles the issue with "by his wound (s) you have been healed ",
whereas in 1 Cl. 16:5, TW MWLWPI is translated in the Loeb edition by
Kirsopp Lake as "with his bruises".

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]

[ subscribed to MSN Messenger
o_sullivanmauric@hotmail.com ]

"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself."
- Johann Albrecht Bengel