RE: Gender of TO PNEUMA

From: Dave Palmer (HoLogos@ilovejesus.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 21:20:41 EST

>To my knowledge there is no clear unambiguous use of a masculine pronoun
>referring to TO PNEUMA in the NT. If you think otherwise, I would greatly
>appreciate learning at what passage you find this.

On ambiguity and gender, I am reminded of II Thessalonians 2:6-7. Who or
what is the subject?

KAI NUN TO KATECON OIDATE EIS TO APOKALUMQHNAI AUTON EN TWi hEAUTOU KAIRWi.
TO GAR MUSTHRION HDH ENERGEITAI THS ANOMIAS; MONON hO KATECWN ARTI hEWS EK
MESOU GENHTAI.

TO KATECON (neuter)

AUTON (masculine)

hEAUTOU (mss AUTOU) (masculine)

hO KATECWN (masculine)

Also, does Paul switch the gender of the participle from TO KATECON to hO
KATECWN so as to make sure we know that hO KATECWN -or TO KATECON is not
referring to TO MUSTHRION, which has been brought up in between?

Dave Palmer
HoLogos@ilovejesus.com