Re: Mounce

From: A K M Adam (akm-adam@nwu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 08:56:48 EST

<x-flowed>George,

>Sometimes, it would be refreshingly transparent if one were to say:
>"Of the two possible treatments of this Greek construction, I choose
>approach "a" because it is in keeping with my other doctrinal
>understandings.

I'm trying to carve out a niche in the debate over hermeneutics that
allows for just this option--but (as you no doubt well know) one can
hardly overestimate the inclination of biblical interpreters to think
that being right is insufficient--they must be conclusively,
exclusively, indubitably right.

I can't do that--it just seems to me that I disagree with enough
people who are smarter and wiser than I am, that I have to say, "I'm
convinced that I'm right--but Burton Mack (or Bill Mounce or W. D.
Davies) has very good reasons for thinking what he thinks. I'm just
not convinced."

Of course, scholars constantly observe your injunction--in reverse.
"Goolde upholds this position because it best fits his theology
[whereas *I*, implicitly, have reached my opposing conclusion based
on unfettered reason]."

Grace and peace be with you--may your sensibility catch on....

AKMA

--
Seabury-Western Theological Seminary
akm-adam@nwu.edu

Truth cannot impose itself except by virtue of its own truth, as it makes its entrance into the mind at once quietly and with power. Pope Paul VI, Dignitatis Humanae